As a runner, it’s important to fuel your body with the right nutrients, and that starts with smart shopping. Here are some smart shopping tips for runners to help you make healthy food choices and stick to your budget.
- Plan ahead. Before you hit the grocery store, make a meal plan for the week. This will help you avoid buying unnecessary items and ensure that you have all the ingredients you need for your meals and snacks.
- Shop the perimeter. The perimeter of the grocery store is where you’ll find fresh produce, lean meats, and dairy products. Try to stick to the perimeter to avoid the processed and packaged foods that are typically found in the middle aisles.
- Read labels. When you do need to venture into the middle aisles, be sure to read the nutrition labels on packaged foods. Look for products that are low in sugar, salt, and unhealthy fats, and high in fiber and protein.
- Buy in bulk. Purchasing items like grains, nuts, and seeds in bulk can be cost-effective and reduce the amount of packaging waste. Just be sure to store them in airtight containers to keep them fresh.
- Look for sales and coupons. Check the weekly ads and look for coupons to save money on your favorite healthy foods.
- Choose seasonal produce. Seasonal produce is often cheaper and fresher than out-of-season produce. Plus, it adds variety to your meals and supports local farmers.
- Don’t shop when you’re hungry. Shopping when you’re hungry can lead to impulsive purchases and overeating. Eat a healthy snack before you head to the store to help you stay on track.
By following these smart shopping tips, you can make healthy food choices and stick to your budget as a runner. Remember to plan ahead, shop the perimeter, read labels, buy in bulk, look for sales and coupons, choose seasonal produce, and avoid shopping when you’re hungry. Happy shopping and happy running!