Pizhichil, also known as Thailadhara, is a traditional Ayurvedic therapy that involves the application of warm medicated oil all over the body in a continuous stream. The word Pizhichil comes from the Malayalam language, where “pizhi” means “to squeeze” and “chil” means “to pour.”
During a Pizhichil session, the patient lies down on a special wooden table while two therapists simultaneously pour warm oil over the body and massage it into the skin using long, continuous strokes. The oil used for Pizhichil is usually a mixture of medicinal herbs and oils that are chosen based on the individual’s dosha or body type.
The benefits of Pizhichil are numerous, some of which include:
- Relieves stress and anxiety: The warm oil and rhythmic massage help to calm the nervous system and reduce stress and anxiety.
- Improves blood circulation: The continuous flow of warm oil helps to improve blood circulation, which in turn nourishes the body and promotes healing.
- Relieves muscle pain and stiffness: The gentle massage strokes help to loosen tight muscles and relieve pain and stiffness.
- Detoxifies the body: The warm oil helps to open up the pores and promote sweating, which helps to eliminate toxins from the body.
- Rejuvenates the skin: The oil used for Pizhichil is rich in antioxidants and nutrients that help to nourish and rejuvenate the skin, leaving it soft and supple.
Overall, Pizhichil is a deeply relaxing and rejuvenating therapy that can benefit people of all ages and health conditions.